Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane Irene

I'm sitting on my porch at 9am Saturday morning. It is quite calm out here at the moment and the neighborhood is quiet. I'm rather enjoying this time to myself but the range of emotions I've gone through in the past 24 hours are crazy.

I live in Oceanside and up until yesterday I was ready to brave the storm no matter what happened. Then at about 5 yesterday afternoon they announced that we were in a mandatory evacuation zone. I freaked, as did all my neighbors and we all came outside to discuss the situation. We live on a dead end block with 6 cottages. All of us are very close and as of Friday we had two generators and were planning what we would do on case of a power outage. It was agreed that we would get all of the refrigerators running and one house would be fully powered so that we could all cook and be together if the shit hit the fan. Yesterday was a gut check. We all discussed our options and in the end have decided to stay put. I'm not sure if it is the wisest decision but it's what we're doing.

As I thought about it yesterday I was scared. I'm not gonna lie I'm still pretty worried right now. But my decision to stay was mostly made because I am not leaving my cats behind to drown in my house. I know how ridiculous that sounds but I'm sure if you have pets you can kinda understand. I am mentally preparing for the worst. I'm pretty sure our main problem will be flooding, but honestly what can we do to prevent it. The wind I'm hoping will not be too bad. A few downed trees will suck but what can you do about it.

At this point I am gonna go secure some things and prepare for an interesting evening. Everybody be safe, and we'll all hopefully have a good laugh about this on Monday. Good luck people.

No comments:

Post a Comment