Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake

    I pretty much hate people. If half of them disappeared today I wouldn't be angry. But yesterday I became one of them when I felt my car shake like someone was jumping on my bumper.
    I am disgusted by how popular culture is well, popular. I watched one episode of Jersey Shore when it first came out and never again. Now everytime Thursday rolls around I want to delete my whole friends list because I know all I'm gonna read the whole night is how the situation did this, or how hot Jwow or whoever is. Then there are the quotes, "t shirt time" or "cabs here". Do you realize how dumb you sound? Get a shotgun and end it, please.
    How does this relate to the earthquake? Well, when it happened I jumped out of my car and joined in the hysteria of feeling a little shaking. I called Florida, I asked everyone what they felt, and immediately went to Facebook to post my experience. Then the reality started to set in that everything was getting blown out of proportion. It was a non event. Nothing got damaged, nobody was hurt. But turn on 1010 wins and you would think the entire east coast had fallen off the map. They were actually asking people on the street how it affected them. Every asshole had a story about how they had to evacuate their buildings, or how their office chair moved a quarter of an inch. Jesus people, we lived through 9/11, a tremor is nothing.
    I spoke to my friend Jeff who lives in L.A. and he was sympathetic. I wish he would have laughed at us but he's too nice of a guy, plus he lives in California where everybody is all laid back. Anyway, he sent me a video he shot of an earthquake they had in '94. It was horrific. I could not imagine living through that. He said he could never make fun of anyone who says they were scared when they are in an earthquake. I wish he was here for the ridiculous thing we had yesterday. He would have crucified us.
    Then there were the jokes. The first time I saw the patio table with the one chair knocked over and the caption "deviation from the DC earthquake" I chuckled. After the one hundredth time I hated it. If the event happened hours earlier and you just saw this picture, you are not funny when you post it AGAIN. And the hundreds of tweets and FB posts that said someone dropped something, or you just took out your junk and it hit the floor... Hang yourselves. No, really. Do it.
    So next time we have an event where it affects all of us but causes no ill effects, do me a favor and just delete me before you post. Ok, don't I still need to pry into all of your personal lives.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment